10.26.2005

sam's big adventure

Yesterday, at a little after noon, I was sitting on my couch watching TV when my neighbor Penny called to see if I wanted to take a walk. So I got my exercise clothes on, had a little lunch, and went over. It was in the 60's and the sun was shining brightly, so it was a perfect day for a walk.

We walked and talked for about an hour. Then we went to her house and had some iced tea. It was great.

When I came home, I said hello to Max, who was sunning himself by the sliding glass door. Then I did a double take. The sliding glass door was open (I had opened it because of the beautiful weather) and the SCREEN was open, too!! I knew immediately that Sam had taken off. After all, he is notorious for trying to escape. If you've ever been to my house, you know this.

Since I had been gone for over an hour, I began to panic a little. I called Brian and he headed home from work. (I know you think that sounds crazy, but these cats are our CHILDREN!!!!) I did a quick walk around the block, through people's back yards, calling for him in my high-pitched cat voice. I asked everyone I saw if they had seen him. I was proud of myself for not crying yet.

I eventually went over to Penny's (I had already been through her back yard) and asked if she would help me look. She was waiting on her adorable 10-year-old daughter, Sydney, to get home from school. She told me to check under their shed. So I went around and looked under the shed to no avail. On my way back around front, I saw Sydney coming home. I ran and got in my car to drive around and look. As I was pulling out of the driveway, I saw Penny and Sydney come out to start looking. I waved at them and told them I had my cell with me.

I began a very slow drive around another block, with the windows down, still screeching for Sam in soprano tones. You can imagine how this looked! I stopped everyone I saw and asked them if they had seen him. The answer was always no. I was coming around the curve, nearing Penny's house, when my cell rang. It said it was a Florida number. I answered it, and it was Sydney saying that they found him!!!! I rushed around to where they were, and there was Sam, laying in the grass at Penny's feet!!!!

I jumped out of the car and called him, and he came right over to me. Crazy cat! Caused me all kinds of anguish! I thanked Penny and Sydney profusely and called Brian, who was pulling into the neighborhood. We brought Sam in the house and I thought I had felt something in his paw, so I checked it out. On one paw, there was a lot of blood--like he had cut up his little paw pad. Then I checked the other one. There was a really sticky burr in it. Pretty deeply imbedded between two of his toes. Poor thing!

Every time I tried to pull it out, he growled, howled, and bit me. Brian finally had the genious idea of wrapping him in a towel (cat-taco style) so he couldn't see what was coming. Brian held his mouth shut and his back paws while I balanced him in my lap and pulled out the burr. Pitiful.

He's been fine since then. He's been purring and acting as usual. Sitting on the couch last night, Brian and I discussed the afternoon's events. I asked how fast he thought Sam ran out the door once he finagled it open. Brian said that not even a camera could have captured the blur that was Sam as he escaped to freedom.

In other news, the painters painted the majority of my house while I was gone. (INSIDE of the house, that is.) When I get the place cleaned up a little bit more, I'll post some pictures.

I have officially begun my Christmas shopping and preparations. Tis almost the season!!!!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Sam is a little dickens. ;) Glad you found him though and as someone whose cats are also her children, I totally understand.