10.20.2005

guilt

I was supposed to go back to Orlando on Tuesday the 18th. Mom and I left the house and went to pick up Nan and Pops--they had wanted to come with. Well, then Nan fell while trying to get into the car. It was HORRIBLE--I could see her wobbling, but I couldn't get out of the car fast enough to catch her.

What was I doing in the car anyway? Why didn't I get out and help her? Why didn't Pops or Mom help her, either? The whole thing is actually pretty much my fault. Pops got in the car and I heard Mom get in, and I guess I thought everyone was in--but Nan wasn't. I started going--very slowly, fortunately--and then I heard Mom yell and I looked over and saw Nan fall. I'm sure I will never forget that moment.

We aren't completely sure what happened. I know I didn't knock her over--the door was in front of her and I was going forward. I think it just surprised her and she jumped back and lost her balance. SHE says that the car ran over her foot and she pulled hard to get it out and lost her balance, but there's no evidence to support that. Her foot is fine, and I think it would be broken, or at least some toes would be broken, if that had happened.

Anyway, we managed to get her up and to the hospital. After awhile in the ER, the doctor confirmed that her hip was broken. They did surgery yesterday at noon and it only took a half hour. They replaced the ball joint and said it was an easy surgery and she would be fine. Today she got up and walked to the chair and sat in it for awhile. She's not in pain anymore. That same hip has been bothering her forever, so it's probably good that she had it replaced. She's acting like her normal self today. She'll have to spend a few weeks in rehab, but after that, she'll likely be great.

But I still feel horrible. WHY didn't I make sure everyone was in the car? I KNOW she has trouble walking, so why didn't I help her?

1 comment:

BT said...

Sis--Kari and I have been praying for you. You need to know that you didn't do anything wrong. And, like you said, she was probably going to have to have it done anyway, so better now than later. We're all thankful that she is okay, but this isn't any more your fault than it was your fault the last twenty times one of them has fallen and broken something. They fall often because they're old and frail, and she probably would have fallen whether you had moved the car or not (and maybe even if someone was helping her...Do you remember the time she fell even though I had her by the arm a few years ago?).

Please don't feel guilty anymore. We love you!

BT